login register
I want to continue my higher education in Japan, but my grades are not excellent.
What would be a good choice for higher education? Since I intend to return to China after I graduate, I would like to pursue a career for which I may become easily employed.

26 year old, male, 2nd year student at a Chinese junior college, Japanese Language Studies graduate

Student A has 3 options. The first option, is to start the 4 year university course all over again. The second option is to transfer directly as a third year student into the university. Lastly, he can enroll himself in a vocational school, where he would study and learn professional skills and techniques.
In the case he picks the first option, Student A would be 30 years old by the time he graduates from university (after 4 years). In the case he desired to work in Japan, as 28 years of age is a boundary for finding employment in Japanese companies, this would become a disadvantage.
In the second option, Student A could transfer directly to a the 3rd year at a normal university. The problem here is that his study choices are limited. Because of the fact that Student A is a 2-year Japanese Studies student, this may not give him enough credits to advance two years in the Japanese curriculum. For example, if Student A wants to go to the Faculty of Economics and Management, he will be inquired on the extent of the economics and management courses that he took in his first university, and the question as to whether the Japanese university will confirm these credits or not, becomes the main hurdle. The number of schools that accept foreign third-year students is very small. Basically, most are recognized by specialty departments.
Finally, after his graduation, since Student A wants to find employment in his home country, it is very important for him to acquire knowledge and self-reliance ability in a very short time. Therefore, to anticipate the industrial demands of his home country, we recommend Student A to investigate the industrial environment and to enroll himself in a few vocational schools for which securing unofficial job offers may be easy.
Report of results:
Student A, continued his higher studies in the 2-year college we recommended for him. Then, he was hired t.o work for a major car dealer while still at college. Furthermore, he was given a \500,000/year scholarship after his employment.

Comments from the staff in charge:
When considering higher studies, it is very important to know yourself. You need to ask yourself which is more important to you, your academic background, or the skills for your future life. In the case of Student A, I think taking a glance at the future was a good decision.
I want to continue my studies at a certain university in Tokyo. But unfortunately, I took the EJU test in June and the results were not that good, in fact, they barely met the requirements for being accepted at that university. Furthermore, the results sheet will be announced after the entrance exam. What should I do?
I want to continue my studies at that specific university, no matter what. Please advise!

20 year old, female, high school graduate, enrolled at a Japanese language school (2nd year student)

In the case of Student B, there are two problems. Firstly, the Japanese visa given to Japanese language school students has a maximum of two years. Secondly, the university she wishes to go is very competetive and therefore there's a high chance that she may not pass the entrance examinations.
International students are required to obtain qualifications for extending their stay within the period determined by their visa. If Student B, really wants to go that university, no matter what, then she would better have some back measures in place beforehand, like taking an entrance examination to another university as well. Student B is confident of going to her desired university, so she is recommended to make back up plans with a language school.
The reason for that, is that a university matriculation fee (around \300,000) will be necessary, and this money is not returned even if one retires midway through the process. However, there is another possibility and it is that the student enters the desired university as a 3rd year student after studying 2 years at another school first. Also, studying Japanese language and English literature at a language school will be advantageous when advancing to the new university. Furthermore, colleges have cheaper tuition fees than universities. For all these reasons combined, we recommend a college.
Comments from the staff in charge:
If the results from the EJU test are bad like in the case of student B, preparations in many directions are needed to be able to continue studies.
First, it is necessary to decide whether to abandon the preferred choice for a university, or not. If your abilities are close to your goals, retaking the challenge is a magnificent thing to do. However, when you feel you do not have enough abilities, you must search for a place fit for you beforehand.

In the case of Student B, she fullfils the requirements for her aspired university, but the point of her consultation was to ask whether that was enough. However, in reality, universities do not see the EJU test as such an important requirement. More importance is attached to the university's judgment of the student's studying abilities. Therefore, even if she gets only passing grades at the EJU test, the more important factors will be the University's entrance exam and interview, which, if she works hard for them, could be enough for her to be accepted. By all means, do work hard for the university entrance exam.
After graduating from a Chinese university, I couldn't find employment, so I decided to study abroad privately funded. But, I find that my major in was not helpful in finding a job, so I want to pursue higher education in a scientific specialty; is that possible?

24 years-old, graduated from a trade-related department with a 4 years bachelor's degree, enrolled at a Japanese language school (1st year)

It is possible. But, within science there are many subfields, so you will have to concretely consider which one you want to study.
Considering Student C's status, it might be difficult to go into pure science and engineering departments (e.g. Physics, Biology, Electrical Engineering). In Japan many students of science and engineering choose to continue their higher education in arts, while the opposite is not that common. From the perspective of entrance requirements, one could not say it is impossible, but, considering the difference in fundamental knowledge, studying material, students will find the class rather difficult.

But there are many inter-disciplinary departments and programs, we would recommend these. For example there is System Management (which is different from development, and focuses more on the business and management aspects), Communication Design, which is adapted to both fields. Nevertheless, you have to realize that post-graduate studies are short and one must work very hard. In addition to enthusiasm one must be prepared.
Comments from the staff in charge:
For students who choose to study abroad, there is a chance to choose student life again. It takes courage to change your specialty, but you must find the field of study you want to pursue, work hard and face the future.

login register